The Peer Model Program provides an opportunity for typically developing children to be integrated into our Early Childhood Special Education classrooms to serve as role models for our children with disabilities.
Peer Model students provide positive peer interactions, demonstrate play skills, and model appropriate language and behavior for children with disabilities while in the classroom setting.
To apply to be a positive peer model, the following criteria must be met:
- Children must be a Germantown resident/child of GMSD employee
- Children must be 4 years of age, but not yet 5 by August 15, 2017. Children who are 5 by August 15, 2017 are eligible for kindergarten and are not appropriate for the early childhood special education preschool class.
- Children must speak clearly and be easily understood in order to model appropriate speech and language as a positive peer model peer.
- Children must attend both the screening at the district office and the zoned elementary school.
The screening process includes two play-based two hour sessions.
The first session will take place at the district office with all of peers that have applied. The staff will provide developmentally appropriate activities that will enable the child to show his/her abilities in the following areas:
- Readiness/problem solving
- Social emotional/pre-vocational
Applicants are evaluated by a rubric on the above criteria. Peer models must display age appropriate skills on the rubric.
The second session will take place at the child’s zoned school. The staff will provide play based opportunities that will enable the child to show his/her ability to communicate and interact with the students with disabilities as well as the classroom staff. The communication and social emotional/pre-vocational rubric will be scored.
All of the rubrics from both screening sites will be totaled and candidates for each zoned school will be offered a slot for the following school year.
Your completed application must be turned in to Felicia Mathis at the Central Office by April 10, 2017. Faxed and scanned applications will be accepted. The fax number is 901-752-6479 with Attention to Felicia Mathis or by [email protected].
Where: GMSD District Office
When: April 27, 2017
What time: 9:30-11:30
The second screening will take place at your child’s zoned school. Additional details will be shared with you about the date and time.