Student Engagement (SEL)
The Tennessee Department of Education Social and Personal Competencies:
- Responsible Decision Making
- Social Awareness
- Relationship Skills
Student Readiness is ensuring each child, in each school, in each community is healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged.
GMSD approaches student readiness as we approach academics. We proactively teach generalized skills to all students (in Tier One). These could include:
- School-wide Positive Behavior Programs (such as the House System at HMS, Choose to Be Kind at DES, or Keep It Real at RES)
- Counselors deliver whole class lessons or assist in preparing lessons for regular classroom teachers
- Teachers build relationships with their students
- Schools provide opportunities for students to make connections through clubs, after school activities, and sports
- Setting good communication practices between teachers and parents
- "BrainBreaks" or activities to get students moving throughout the day
The District provides Character Strong as a support for students in Tier One. Please look at the curriculum link below.
Tier Two includes students who are identified as struggling by school professionals who are working directly with parents/guardians. Some of the interventions available to Tier Two students could include:
- Check-in/check-out systems with a positive adult mentor in the building
- Short-term counseling
- Getting a student involved in a more personalized support community (after school club, sports, tutoring, etc.)
- More frequent check-ins betweens teachers and parents/guardians
Tiers Three and Four includes students who are identified with the most significant needs. These students may require a functional behavior assessment or behavior interventions. At these Tiers, district social workers will work closely with families to best serve the students' needs either inside or outside of school settings. These students may also need support from the ESE Department.